On the cover of YCM November 2012 we asked, “Are you keeping pace with change?” If you answered ‘yes’, you’re in luck. The 2013 CCentral Independent Insights survey results reveal similar trends toward higher levels of digital engagement, a strengthening of full-service distributor relationships, and improved staffing practices.
But if you answered ‘no’, you’ll have even more catching up to do in 2014, as the industry continues to evolve. The conversation is changing between retailers and their supply chain partners and the only way to ensure you’re a part of this conversation is to embrace the change and be proactive with your suppliers.
Who are the retailers who responded to the survey?
- 92% described themselves as convenience store retailers
- 42% of them retail gas
- 39% of these retailers are part of a banner but still make independent purchasing decisions
Here are a few of the findings:
- Fostering relationships with sales reps is an essential ingredient to success, and although the number of supplier sales rep visits has not increased notably since 2012, retailers are reporting higher satisfaction levels with many of their suppliers.
- Retailers are turning to their FSDs at an increased rate, with 54% sourcing their core category merchandise from their FSDs.
- 87% of retailers are heading online at least once a week for business purposes, and 61% are online every day.
- 27% of retailers report that staff members remain with their business for five or more years.
These are just a few of the trends uncovered from our 2013 research. Visit CCentral.ca over the coming weeks and months as we continue to share and discuss our Independent Insights with you.
You can also find an in-depth analysis on the results in our November 2013 issue of YCM Magazine.
Independent convenience-gas retailers completed the 2013 CCentral.ca Independent Insights online and hard copy survey, sourced from CCentral.ca, The Convenience U CARWACS Show, and YCM and iCN magazines, between May and August of 2013. We would like to acknowledge and thank Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc. and Nestlé Canada Inc. for their continued support of our independent retailer research.