As a convenience store retailer, it’s important to understand the value of product innovation. Not only does innovation build excitement and drive traffic into your c-store, it also keeps the entire industry relevant and competitive in these tough economic times.
Since 2008, NACDA has been recognizing, rewarding and encouraging supplier innovation with the Convenience Innovation Awards (CIA). This year, the awards are back and bigger than ever, with a record number of submissions – 50 in total. Each of the 50 submissions is evaluated on four key criteria: product characteristics, presentation/packaging, innovation, and originality/value.
The judging panel will be made up of individuals representing the wholesale, retail, association, media and impartial agency sectors and takes place at Sensory Services in Mississauga, Ont.
Remember, the c-store channel is the ideal market for innovation. As long as you’re aware of new products, you can bring them onto the market faster than other channels, and you can build sales through direct relationships with your customers. Be sure to engage in conversation with consumers about these new products – this will drive excitement and encourage them to try something new.
Are you carrying this year’s nominees in your store? Here they are:
Food – Chocolate
1. Aero Orange Bubbles by Nestlé Canada
2. AWAKE Caffeinated Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, by AWAKE Chocolate
3. Baby Ruth King Size by Nestlé Canada
4. Cadbury Choc Pieces, Popped and Toffee Clusters by Mondelēz International
5. Cadbury Dairy Milk, Cookie Crunch and Bubbly by Mondelēz International
6. Cadbury Screme Egg by Mondelēz International
7. Hello Kitty Milk Chocolate Egg with Surprise Toy by Regal Confections
8. Kit Kat Chunky Peanut Butter by Nestlé Canada
9. Maltesers Bowl Size Stand-up Pouch by Mars Canada
10. M&M’s Sharing Size, Milk Chocolate/Peanut by Mars Canada
11. Reese Sticks by Hershey Canada
12. Skor Minis by Hershey Canada
13. Snickers 6ct Snack Size by Mars Canada
14. Snickers Peanut Butter King Size by Mars Canada
15. Twix 6ct Snack Size by Mars Canada
16. Twix Peanut Butter Cookie Bar by Mars Canada
Food – Confections
17. Allan Dark Chocolate Superfruit Hard Candy, Blueberry Pomegranate and Strawberry Acai by The Allan Candy Company
18. Allan Magic Big Foot by The Allan Candy Company
19. Fruitella Fruity Swings by Perfetti Van Melle
20. Fruitella One Two Three by Perfetti Van Melle
21. Halls Pouches, Antioxidant Pomegranate Berry and Vitamin D Tropical Pineapple by Mondelēz International
22. Ice Breakers Duo, Raspberry and Strawberry by Hershey Canada
23. Ice Breakers Frost Spearmint by Hershey Canada
24. Juicy Drop Taffy, Blue Rebel and Knock-out Punch by Regal Confections
25. NHL Stanley Cup PEZ Limited Edition by Regal Confections
26. Tangy Zangy Sour Sticks, Peach and Wild Berry by Morris National
27. Werther’s Original Caramel Apple Hard Candies, No Sugar Added by Storck Canada
28. Werther’s Original Caramel Apple Filled Hard Candies by Storck Canada
29. Werther’s Original Soft Caramel by Storck Canada
Food – Gum
30. Dentyne Ice, Midnight Mint by Mondelēz International
31. Mentos Gum Up2U by Perfetti Van Melle
32. Stride Doodles Singles, Berry and Mint by Mondelēz International
33. Stride Tropical Trance Singles by Mondelēz International
34. Trident Wondermint by Mondelēz International
35. Eska 6 x 710 ml Sport Cap Natural Spring Water by Eaux Vives Water
36. Karma Wellness Water, Acai Pomberry and Orange Mango by Karma / A. Lassonde Inc.
37. Naya F20, Lemon-Lime and Plum-Pomegranate by Naya Waters
38. Perrier Slim Cans, Original and Lime, by Nestlé Waters
Food – Snacks
39. BelVita Breakfast, Cranberry Orange and Banana Oatmeal and Chocolate by Mondelēz International
40. Big & Chewy, Chocolate Chip & Peanut Butter and Double Chocolate by Mondelēz International
41. KIND Healthy Snacks, Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew and Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter by KIND Healthy Snacks
42. Orville Redenbacher’s Ready-To-Eat Gourmet Popcorn, Sweet & Salty and White Cheddar by ConAgra Foods
43. Pure Protein Nutrition Bar, Chewy Chocolate Chip by Vita Health Products
44. Special K Cracker Chips, Original and Cheddar by Kellogg’s
45. ThreeWorks Apple Ch!ps, Original and Cinnamon, by ThreeWorks
46. BIC Maxi Wrap Lighter Army Series by BIC
47. BIC Mini Wrap Lighter Polka Dots Series by BIC
48. Team Canada 1972 Limited Edition Refillable Lighters by X-Lite
49. Vapur, Cherrybomb and Grapesensation by Casa Cubana / Spike Marks Inc.
50. X-Lite Softouch by X-Lite
The winners will be announced during the Convenience Awards Gala on October 22 at the National Convenience Industry Summit (NCIS), October 22-24 in Montreal, Que., which is the first combined industry summit hosted by the National Convenience Stores Distributors Association (NACDA) and the Canadian Convenience Stores Association (CCSA).
Stay tuned for more information about the nominees in the September issue of YCM/Octane magazine.