CCentral-Main-logo-EN-trans

Convenience Central
Join our community
extra content

The golden rules for mastering c-store social media engagement

socialmedia-teaserCapturing the attention of customers in today’s digital world is not easy. Email inboxes are overflowing, the number of apps on a person’s cell phone continue to grow, and brands have just seconds to grab a customer’s attention on social media.

So, how can convenience store operators best utilize social media to engage their customers?

“Video or motion graphics have proven to be ways to stand out in the crowd,” Brad Plowman, spokesperson for FUEL Marketing. “Fighting to be engaging in a two-second window as a consumer is scrolling through an app or their social media feed is tough, but we have found success in creating compelling videos and motion graphics to cause the consumer to pause. We have seen a much higher click-thru rate than static display ads.”

Another tactic Plowman has seen work well is highlighting customer messaging and comments. If a customer makes a video or creates a post with a c-store’s brand in it, this is something to promote in hopes that it will go viral. Plowman even recommends the retailer put advertising money behind it and “boost” such posts to further engagement with existing and potential customers.

With social media engagement, consistency is key. So, he recommends brands plan their posts for each month ahead of time, and then post them based on a “disciplined schedule.”

“If they randomly post every few days or let a couple of weeks go by without posting, there is no reason for the customer to return,” he explained. “Social media is all about a well-thought-out, predetermined, disciplined approach.”

Additionally, while there are many avenues available today to personalize messaging, a wealth of data is available through social media to target the right customers with the right messages. And it’s easy to engage directly with customers in this manner, according to Plowman.

“The data available to target a specific customer allows for marketers to engage one on one with a customer,” he said. “The burden then goes to the creative messaging and if the company is offering the customer a personalized message. We have the capability to offer a customer posts and engagements specific to their needs, wants and buying habits.”

Last but not least, Plowman advises c-store retailers to follow the 80/20 rule, with 80 percent of posts being informative and entertaining content and the other 20 percent promotional.

“Overselling on social media is the biggest no-no,” he cautioned. “Social media is about letting the consumer see inside the company. Do they practice their mission statement? Are they socially conscious? Do they have a personality?

“All of your posting on social media should contribute to the overall brand of the c-store,” he continued. “But don’t make every post about a sale or promotion. Consumers will see through that and quit following or engaging with the brand.”

Originally posted at Convenience Store News. 


Photos by Aaron McKenzie Fraser

How Jubilee Junction Convenience stands out

Standing out from the crowd by exceeding expectations Read more

SocialMediaNS_YCMNovDec16_Blackburn_6004

Time to get social

Building an online community is easier than you think. Here’s a guide to help you get started. Read more

PopboxON_YCMJanFeb17_Armstrong_8477

The alternative c-store

Popbox MicroMrkt is redefining what it means to be convenient in downtown Toronto Read more

SocialMedia_TopStory_graphic

Traditional meets digital

Two young entrepreneurs breathe new life into an historic general store by bridging traditional with digital Read more

0008_Lewis_YCM Jan 2015_Rural Retailer

3 lessons from a rural retailer

What can urban and suburban retailers learn from a successful rural retailer? Read on to find out... Read more

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Learn to build your social network

The desire to connect propels EastSide Confectionery into social media Read more

IMG_8905_Gray_YCM Jan2013_Social Media

Spread the word

Find out what 77% of retailers are sharing on social media Read more

CC-SocialMedia-sept13

Build your social media community with these 4 tips

Take the time to understand these social media platforms, and get comfortable using your computer or phone to connect with people. Read more

ways-you-can-go-digital

4 ways you can go digital

Learn from the industry's experts how you can take your store's community online... Read more